The blog for inspired travel with children

Friday, June 15, 2012

Stay: San Ysidro Ranch



When I was about seven years old, my parents were lovely enough to whisk my sister and me away to Montecito, CA (near Santa Barbara) for a weekend at the San Ysidro Ranch.   This resort (it’s not what most people think of when they hear the word “ranch”) is low-key and glamorous in a distinctly Californian way.  I remember my mother excitedly telling me that this was where the Kennedys had honeymooned. 

It was certainly romantic – even at seven I was old enough to be enchanted by the pretty cottages and flowers everywhere.  My sister and I made friends at the pool, and I got to go on one of my first horse rides. 



The ranch is still going strong and it looks as beautiful as ever. They don't seem to offer horseback-riding these days, but they do have miles of hiking trails. The ranch occupies more than 500 acres and the views and landscapes are gorgeous.  Importantly, they are happy to accommodate children and families, offering baby monitors, tubs, baby-proofing, and other items and services. They even provide babysitting! What a special weekend this would be for some lucky child...

No comments:

Post a Comment